RE-THINK THE straw project*
Over 500,000,000 plastic straws are used each day in the United States. In only the past twenty years, people have come to expect plastic straws in every drink, in an example of extreme waste being generated for minimal convenience. These short-lived tools are usually dropped into a garbage can with no further thought, instantly becoming a source of plastic pollution.
ConserFest supports the Plastic Pollution Coalition and partner The Last Plastic Straw.org in their efforts to raise awareness and generate agency around plastic straw use. To learn more about their organization and campaigns, please visit plasticpollutioncoalition.org and thelastplasticstraw.org.
The Last Plastic Straw initiative seeks to activate citizens through a grassroots campaign to encourage individuals to push for change in restaurant protocol and practices in their local communities around the world.
TAKE PERSONAL ACTION
- Level 1: Make a personal commitment to say "no" to plastic straws. Whenever ordering a drink, politely request “no straw, please.” Encourage your friends and family to take the pledge, too!
You've got more power than you think. Want to take your impact even further? Use your own paper, glass, bamboo, or stainless steel straw instead, and start a conversation.
- Level 2: Reach out to some local eateries in your neighborhood or town and ask them to change their protocol to only serve straws upon request. Simply leave these informational cards with your bill!
- Level 3: Encourage those eateries to make a change to non-plastic straw options – like paper, glass, or stainless steel – if diners do request a straw. We have a business-specific pledge for them to sign, too!
WHAT CONSERFEST DOES
- GET THE WORD OUT!: Raises awareness about issue with the visiting masses for the purposes of educating and generating agency, while helping to minimize or eliminate plastic straw use and waste on Block Island and beyond, through offering alternatives products and strategies
- RAISE $: Raises funds, when needed, to support the Town of New Shoreham and partner environmental organizations (like Debris Free Oceans) in their efforts to encourage consumers, producers and business owners to re-think their personal use, purchase and supply of straws.
- STEWARDSHIP: Makes supplies more readily available to support local student environmental stewardship efforts and programs.
OTHER CONSERFEST CAMPAIGNS: